FINSHED! A bejeweled Kanerva

I love this make.  I really really love it.  (So sorry for the many photos to follow). Do you have clothes that just make you feel great and seem to give you a whole new attitude or is this just me!? So much so, that as soon as I finished it I wore it to the supermarket on Sunday with my Iris shorts. Then I wore it to work on Monday tucked into a skirt (and my gold pour la victoire shoes - nothing like blinging it up for work!) and I'm planning on wearing it on Wednesday night with my jeans for dinner with some friends. Who'd have thought there'd be so much versatility from such an over the top print. And this is probably the most over the top print I own (and in a wardrobe of prints that is saying something!). 
So, first thing, the print. A couple of weeks ago I saw this liberty print on Lizzy House's instagram and I fell in love. I'm not sure how I missed it til now. I immediately bought 1.5 from Shaukat (not realising that it is available at Addicted to Fabric!). Check out the Elisalex Diana did in a different colourway!

The print is Alexandra C, from the Liberty Art Fabrics Collection SS 14,  Gallery of Prints collection by Liberty Art Fabrics.  

A photographic print – the Alexandra fabric design represents the glittering jewels of Liberty’s decadent Jewellery Room.  The Street Level fabric story celebrates Liberty’s eclectic ground floor accessories. Each design pays homage to a different area or department, taking on the intrinsic mood of each individual space. 


The next thing that happened was that I saw Rachel's blouse from week 2 of Project Sewn,  I fell in love with it and popped over to the Named Clothing website to check out the pattern, the Kanerva button back shirt. Et voila, the perfect pattern for the Alexandra fabric.
This was my first time sewing a Named Clothing pattern and it was really enjoyable.  I have read that they have made loads of changes since their first pattern range and it shows.  The pattern is pdf but still required tracing (a bit annoying) but it wasn't too onerous as there aren't many parts to this pattern.  The instructions were clear and well stepped out. I love the construction and the way that the peplum has a little fold. 
The neckline is finished with binding, I prefer a facing but no big deal. The instructions suggested the back placket is done and then the neck and hem although I switched this around. I cut a straight 36 but removed an inch from the length above the waist to ensure the peplum sat at a better spot for me.  Otherwise the fit is good. 
The pattern fabric suggestion is: "Prefer an elastic, light or medium weight fabric, so the shirt is easy to put on without opening the buttons". In hindsight I'm not sure whether this means that it should be only a knit fabric and not a woven, but I went with the Liberty tana lawn and despite thinking right up until the last minute that I would need a team of dressers to be able to get into it, it does slip over the head. Not so easily that I would consider forgoing the button up back, but easily enough. 
I had a really great time on Saturday meeting up with a great bunch of Canberra sewers: Jen, Myra, Siobhan, Kylie and Amanda. Jen suggested that wooden buttons might look good and she is right they would look great but I was carried away with the opulence of the print and went for some very bling, yellow buttons that almost look like they could have popped out of the print. 
I think this style is just so flattering and I love that it is so versatile that it can be easily tucked into a skirt or pants. There will definitely be more than one of these in my wardrobe. It really is a fantastic shirt pattern.






58 comments:

  1. KILLER!! I love it! And I am so buying that pattern :-) you've totally convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! The print is fabulous and perfect for this pattern. It looks gorgeous on you Kristy! No wonder you love it so much as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I went with the longer version. The shorter one would not have worked for me. It comes together really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your version is so stunning… I love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so you, the fabric is extraordinary but that blouse on you is perfection. You need to make more, it looks soooo good !

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous print, and looks so good made up as this shirt - I'm not surprised you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty top! I just love it when a fabric/ pattern combo comes together so well! The buttons are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this fabric in the same colourway, but I only have one metre and can't decide what to make with it. Isn't it beautiful!

    I think you chose an excellent pattern for the fabric. It looks brilliant on you! And really versatile.

    I'm so happy to see how this fabric looks as an actual garment. I should really do something with mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks lovely and I must confess I really like that Liberty print. I saw it at a local shop, The Workroom, in the pastel colourway but did not purchase it because those colours wash me out, but these jewelled tones are awesome. I may just have to go hunt it down. Plus this is such a versatile pattern indeed - I bet you wear it to death!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, with those shoes, the buttons are totally perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so so lovely! That print is amazing and I love the top style too. It suits the print perfectly. Thanks for the introduction....I feel that I am going to have to check this pattern out a little more closely in the future ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful! I hadn't really considered this pattern, but seeing your version made me sit up and take notice. Now if I could just find that fabric . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic! I can't believe how versatile it is . It looks great it pants, work skirt and your weekend shorts. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ps: no such thing as too many photos IMO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! The fabric is just perfect, will be great to brighten up the colder days that are coming. I've also found Named patterns through Project Sewn - just bought the Jamie Jeans myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fabulous! I love that print too, and the pattern is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I just love this! How fantastic is that bejeweled print?!?! Just amazing. And I'm loving how versatile this top is too - a great wardrobe addition!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My dear girl, it is stunning, and yes wooden buttons might have been good for a subdued look but i am all about yellow and bling, so am totally with you on the button choice. The shirt rocks :)
    So much fun to meet you and the other gorgeous sewists, sooo very pumped for more chatting/sewing sessions VERY soon i hope.
    Kiss x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such happy fabric! I love the colours & it looks great on. It's so good when you make something so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was inches from buying that fabric from a2f a couple of weeks ago and changed my mind at the last minute. your top looks fabulous,a million bucks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty pretty! You look like a million bucks!! Sure you're sick of that joke now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kirsty, this top is absolutely lovely! The fabric choice awesome like always and the pattern is gorgeous, it is very versatil. Love it, love it and love it! I´m going to pin it in pinterest!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a radiantly beautiful fabric - you've really done it justice and I'm so pleased with how happy it's made you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is just fabulous. I adore that print (you know me and prints)! And I love that you can style it so many ways. I can't believe it looks equally fantastic with your Iris shorts and a pencil skirt. I need to check out this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The fabric is stunning and the pattern is so pretty (love the buttons on the back). You look gorgeous! And I love your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Pauline. The shoes are fun aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's a great pattern - and really easy to put together. Yay to versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Sarah - it is so radiant. Perfect word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh you should buy it. It's makes me feel so decadant wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is so great to find versatile patterns that suit such outrageous fabric !

    ReplyDelete
  31. I surprise myself with the fabric I buy sometimes. We'll see about the Jamie Jeans. I really feel like I'd need a new machine to be able to sew them up well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Jen, it was such a fun time wasn't it. Absolutely lets do it again SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Sallie.. really, it is a bit overwhelming all those jewels looking up at you! I can only imagine what this would be like in a more luxurious fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  34. All the best with the Jamie jeans.. there are so many great patterns popping up around the web. It's a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks! It's funny how some patterns are like that until we see them made up.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Rachel and thanks for the making your top which started it all.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Amy! I am so going to make more. Wish I was coming to the catchup on Saturday.... dying to know how your bomber is going !!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks Angela - it's like all the stars are aligned when that happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You could do a scout tee or a simple tank with a metre. You will love wearing this fabric. Guarantee it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. thanks Andrea and I'm actually wondering whether I can get away with wearing it tomorrow... again! I think the colours aren't exactly great on me but the feeling that this print gives cancels out any doubts I had about the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks Siobhan!! The shoes were a inspired moment of bling!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think this pattern will look amazing on you. It will be there waiting for you when you unpack your sewing things!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the print and the back detail is really cute. It's nice to be able to make something with an unusual detail like that.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is really beautiful and so great to see the full length version of this one made up. It is definitely on my list for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is a stunner! Definitely on my to sew list. Looks like a great fit on you!

    ReplyDelete
  46. How did I miss this post? It is fantastic! I need to make more tops - now I really want this one too! I really like fabric with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  47. this pattern is so awesome.

    I like it.
    Venus Puzzle | jigsaw

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great top - I love the dual usage and the print is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Aw thanks for linking to my dress in your post! I LOVE what you've done with this fabric. It's such a gorgeous print. I like the pattern a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Glad to see a fabric with my name that has so much personality!! I'm in love with that pattern too and how you have styled it - how incredibly versatile!. In fact I love most of Named patterns!

    ReplyDelete